Thursday, August 11, 2011

From Tonasket - July 12, 2011

I am alone in this beehive cabin. In a pensive mood, I read a book of poems while the others rush from here to there, collecting tools and coffee and hairbrushes, buzzing about solar panels and fishing and how full the propane tank is. I read a poem by Samuel Green, "Laying Stone," and am overcome. I brim with sadness and awe but even if the others stopped long enough to listen, they would not understand, they would not love this poem the way I love this poem.

Gradually, gradually, they do settle in their places. They make their quiet lists or tune the guitar or look at the atlas. It is I who needs to understand-- they practice their moments of poetry their own way. I leave them to their poetry, and go back to mine.

2 comments:

  1. I wish I understod the poem the way you do. Mary Oliver does that for me, since I don't write any of my own. I just wanted to leave you a comment to let you know I am here, listening.

    ReplyDelete
  2. deep, reflective thoughts shared.

    check out short story slam week 8

    http://bluebellbooks.blogspot.com/

    cheers.

    ReplyDelete